Saturday, January 21, 2006

mind your own business!

Neeta and I are both back in Toronto. I got a bit of food poisoning the last few days and have just recovered woohoo!! One thing I really wanted to let you guys know about traveling in India is people in India do not believe in the unstated rule of North American life which is to: Mind your own business!!

In North America if somebody is in line ahead of you and they are arguing with the person selling a ticket- well you might look at your shoes, or the sky or your watch- but never would you walk up to the person ahead of you- stand beside them with your shoulders touching- practically cheek to cheek and listen to the conversation and then join in adding your two cents!!

In India this is normal and not unexpected- at any time someone can stand beside you- very close to you- and join your conversation with someone else!
The rule of life in India is to mind everyone else's business!! This is a good rule!! (sometimes). We enjoyed listening to many peoples conversations! By the end of the trip, I was one of those people who would walk up to a random stranger ahead of me in line, stand shoulder to shoulder and listen to their conversation! They never seemed to mind (I think).

Tip: If you're in trouble
If you're ever in trouble and start talking loudly a crowd will surround you- people will be in your business in a flash! They will join in to whatever is happening, they will not ignore you! This is a good thing, it kept us feeling pretty safe.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess i'm so used to the desi life style now that i don't even notice or care about minding the biz thing... but it's sooo true!

Tariq G
Lahore, Pakistan

9:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That happens here as well. We were at the CNE for this Indian function and as we were leaving, this guy behind us hit our car. First we were just shocked then all of sudden from all directions people coming running up to us. The guy behind us is begging us for forgiveness as we are all from the same country and attending a religous function. His wife comes running out screaming that the guys behind them were the cause of the accident. Then those three guys come running out to defend themselves and out of nowhere comes this taxi driver to negotiate on behalf of the guy who hit us.

We asked the taxi driver and the three guys who had nothing to do with the accident to get lost. But they refused and kept butting in when we were talking to the guy that hit us.

Unfortunately, whenever there is a large group of Indians, your business is their business and they're not leaving until everything is settled to their satisfaction.

5:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Tina. I remember going into the Indian grocery store in Mississauga and an uncle asking me if I knew someone. An aunty overheard this and filled uncle in on who I was and that I didn't know the person uncle was refering too. After that conversation was done they started asking questions about me and my family at which point the cashier and his wife got involved. I wasn't phased by it all that much since I'm used to my family and the experiences I've had in India. You can really learn alot about people when you don't mind your business ;)

9:41 AM

 
Blogger Nadine said...

Hey- Welcome back! Can't wait to hear all about your trip! I read about your news year's. Mine was also kind of low key. I suggest we plan a night of dancing soon- A New Year's Eve in February! Hey, it will be cheaper!

5:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! NEEEEEEEEETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Get Job/ Do Laundry/ Get a Laundry Job.

Yours Hounorably,

8:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you don't want to do Lata's laundry, can you do Neils.
He would be very grateful.

8:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home