Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Lahore Rocks!!

Many of you know Tariq! He is a ex Torontian who is now living in Lahore. I went to visit him last Friday and just got back to New Delhi yesterday. There is only one authorized land crossing between India and Pakistan and it is located in Amritsar, Punjab. I got to the border 15 minutes before it was supposed to close. The border agent told me I was to late and I would have to come back the next day. I didn't know what to do! I had spent the entire day traveling and to be rejected and that point was to much for me to handle! I started crying and couldn't stop..Once the border agent saw the tears he had a change of heart and said that I could go if I ran. I never cried in public before! I couldn't believe that my tears had that effect on him! I was so happy! Tip for the ladies..If you are ever in a bind, think about crying..It might just work. Especially in South Asia! I ran from India to Pakistan..I never imagined running through customs of both countries but I did it! I was exhausted and tired but thrilled that I made it to the other side!


Every day since 1947 when the two countries were created an elaborate show is performed by the soldiers on both sides to signify the closing of the border. We watched the closing of the border. The flexibility of the soldiers is unbelievable. They can kick their legs over their heads and still look graceful!

I am having problems uploading the pics but they should be uploaded by tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bike to Toronto...hummm... whose gonna pay the shipping!?! Just kidding will try to do that.. Me miss TO!

Tariq Gulzar

2:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home